The ECOWAS Network of Electoral Commissions (ECONEC) ended its 6th Biennial General Assembly in Abuja and took the following decisions:
- Adoption of the Activity Report and Financial Report of the past two years (2017-2019) prepared by the Secretariat under the supervision of the Steering Committee led by President Mahmood Yakubu, Chair of INEC Nigeria.
- The Assembly commended the outgoing Steering Committee and the Staff of the Secretariat and stressed the need for consolidation of the gains achieved under the leadership of the outgoing Steering Committee and sustainability.
- In accordance with provisions of the ECONEC Statute, the General Assembly adopted a unanimous Resolution conferring the title of Honorary President of ECONEC on Prof Mahmood Yakubu in recognition of his exemplary leadership and contributions to the promotion of democracy and good governance in the ECOWAS region.
- The Assembly, respecting the principle of the Network’s linguistic balance (Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone) as enshrined in its statutes elected the following members to the new 5-member Steering Committee for the next two years (2019-2021):
- President – Dr Maria do Rosario Lopes Pereira Goncalves, Chair of CNE Cabo Verde;
- 1st Vice President – Mr Newton Ahmed Barry, Chair CENI, Burkina Faso;
- 2nd Vice President – Mr Momarr Alieu Njai, Chair of IEC The Gambia;
- Treasurer – Mr. Amadou Ba – Chair CENI, Mali; and
- Deputy Treasurer – Madam Jean Mensa, Chair EC Ghana.
- The Steering Committee will be assisted by the Permanent Secretary of the Network and the Head of the ECOWAS Electoral Assistance Division (EAD), Mr Sourou Francis Gabriel Oke.
- The next regular Biennial General Assembly is scheduled to take place in Praia, capital of Cabo Verde (Cape Verde) in 2021.
Dr Maria do Rosario Lopes Pereira Goncalves